THE two-week strike by members of the SA Municipal Union Workers (Samwu) at City of Johannesburg’s waste removal entity Pikitup is over, the union said on Thursday.
“The decision to end the protest action follows the intervention by Gauteng Department of Co-operative Governance and Traditional Affairs (Cogta) led by MEC Jacob Mamabolo,” the union said.
“After a series of meetings and consultation with our members, we have decided to end the protest action at Pikitup and have signed an agreement with Cogta and the City of Johannesburg to this effect. All workers are expected to report for duty as of the 4th December 2015.”
As part of the agreement between the parties, an official would be appointed to facilitated further negotiations on grievances by workers, Samwu said.
“We have further agreed on a process that will manage the adverse effect of the principle of no work no pay for workers who were on strike. This will include various options including forgoing leave days to cover for the work time while we will engage with management on how workers who do not have leave days will be covered in this agreement.”
“We are pleased that this process will also benefit all employees within the City of Johannesburg as the city manager has been tasked with implementing a process that will resolve salary disparities within the city. This process will be completed within the next two weeks and will prioritise workers at Pikitup.”
Pikitup workers embarked on an unprotected strike last week. They demanded salary hikes from R6 000 to R10 000. They also demanded the resignation of managing director Amanda Nair.
A court interdict obtained by Pickitup against the strikers last week was ignored, with rubbish piling up on street corners across the Johannesburg CBD and residential areas.
At least four contract workers, employed to remove waste were shot at and wounded on Tuesday. Pickitup workers were expected back at work on Friday. – ANA