JOHANNESBURG – THE strike at telecommunication giant MTN South Africa is over, newly appointed CEO Mteto Nyathi said on Thursday.
”The agreement serves the common interests of MTN and the employees, and allows MTN to focus on its core reason for existence, which is to deliver services to its customers,” said Nyati.
”At the core of the agreement is that the union has accepted MTN’s bonus and salary adjustment policies.”
He apologised for the inconvenience that MTN customers suffered during the period of the strike, and thanked them for their patience and loyalty.
Thousands of members of the Communication Workers Union (CWU) embarked on a strike on May 20. The strike affected MTN operations across South Africa, with the union calling on consumers to boycott MTN services.
Former CEO Ahmad Farroukh resigned earlier this month, citing personal and family reasons. – ANA