August 19 2018 – ZIMBABWE’s first lady Grace Mugabe claims she hit 20-year-old Gabriella Engels with an extension cord in an act of self-defence and that her sons were not spared a beating either.
Mugabe has told SA officials that she was in fact the victim in the attack that happened last Sunday in a flat in Sandton, which allegedly took place in the presence of numerous body guards.
“She is adamant on the issue of protecting herself because she feels she was attacked. She says she was attacked by the victim and that she also has her own injuries which she is not going to publish in the media,” says one source.
Engels claims that Mugabe assaulted her after she found her with her sons, Robert jr and Chatunga Bellarmine.
But it appears that the pair, also faced their mother’s wrath that night.
“People are not talking about the fact she did the same to her kids. She beats her kids too,” says the source.
When asked why Mugabe didn’t open a police case against Engels, the official said that Mugabe didn’t see it that way. The official explained how the incident had placed the SAPS in a predicament.
“Yes, clearly it was a difficult situation, a predicament because it was a high-profile matter and all the things came colliding. It was a mad house, and we had to ensure we don’t break the international law on how to treat important delegates. In cases like this, you want to collect all the information from all sides.”
The first lady is apparently still holed-up in South Africa and is waiting for the Department of International Relations and Co-operation (Dirco) to issue her diplomatic immunity. Then she can leave.
If this happens, this will be the second time that Mugabe has used this legal loophole to escape prosecution.
In 2009, she was given diplomatic immunity by the Chinese after she assaulted a journalist in Hong Kong.
Dirco spokesperson Nelson Kgwete said that a decision had yet to be made about giving Mugabe diplomatic immunity.
AfriForum on Friday said that they were waiting to see if Mugabe would be given diplomatic immunity.
If she was, Willie Spies, the organisation’s legal representative said the organisation would launch a review application in the high court in Pretoria to have the decision set aside.
“You must remember that Mrs Mugabe visits South Africa very often,” said Spies.
“She does have interests and assets in South Africa so it makes it possible for us to get hold of her or pursue her at a later stage.”
“If the review application fails,we have committed ourselves to challenge this up to the Constitutional Court,” says Spies.
Meanwhile deputy education minister Mduduzi Manana finally bowed to pressure and resigned after he was charged with assaulting a woman at a nightclub in Johannesburg last week.
Manana also faces a disciplinary inquiry within his own party after the ANC national working committee decided he should be disciplined.
In a brief statement‚ Zuma’s spokesman‚ Bongani Ngqulunga‚ said the president had “received and accepted” Manana’s resignation.
Manana has admitted to assaulting two women at the Cubana nightclub in Fourways‚ Johannesburg‚ earlier this month‚ citing “extreme provocation”.
According to reports‚ one of the women allegedly called him gay.
He appeared in the Randburg Magistrate’s Court on Thursday on two counts of assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm. He was released on R5‚000 bail. – Saturday Star additional reporting Sowetan