Nigeria calls for AU to stop SA xenophobic attacks as Mamelodi preps for demos

Nigeria calls for AU to stop SA xenophobic attacks as Mamelodi preps for demos

Feburary 21 2017 – NIGERIA on (yesterday) Monday urged the African Union to step in to stop what it said were “xenophobic attacks” on its citizens and other Africans in South Africa.

The Nigerian presidency said there was a need for the continental body to “intervene urgently,” claiming that in the last two years “about 116” Nigerians had been killed, including 20 last year.

“This is unacceptable to the people and government of Nigeria,” a senior presidential aide on foreign affairs, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, said in an emailed statement.

There was no independent verification of the claimed number of deaths, which may have been the result of wider criminal activities rather than anti-immigrant sentiment.

According to the Nigerian Union in South Africa, there are about 800 000 Nigerians in South Africa, many of them living in Johannesburg, while there could be an estimated three million Zimbabweans in SA.

Non SA  owned  shops in Atteridgeville, Pretoria West were looted on (yesterday) Monday evening.

This is the latest in attacks on non SA citizens flared over the weekend.

Community members looted stores and burned down homes of suspected drug dealers and brothels  last Saturday.

The Mamelodi Concerned Residents have organised a march against  non SA citizens set for Friday, though ZimsInSA.com sources say police have refused to give the march clearance

They  claim the  government has prioritised  employing non SA citizens ahead of locals, the hijacking buildings and alleged drug dealing .

Dabiri-Erewa renewed Abuja’s call on the government in Pretoria to take “decisive and definite measures” to protect Nigerian citizens and other Africans in South Africa.

She said there was credible information that more attacks were being planned for   where shops belonging to non SA citizens were burnt in Attridgeville,  for Wednesday and Thursday.

Nigeria has met senior South African officials, including the resident high commissioner to protest against the attacks on its citizens.

South Africans police and government officials were not immediately available to comment.

The community was hit badly by the wave of xenophobic violence that hit the country in April 2015 but South African police said only seven Nigerians died.

An independent watchdog has said 640 people died from police brutality or in custody in South Africa. – eNCA addtional  reporting ZimsInSA.com reporter

  1. […] Nigeria calls for AU to stop SA xenophobic attacks as Mamelodi preps for demos […]

Comments are closed.