SA to probe Zim Tsvangirai nurse ‘mysterious’ death

SA to probe Zim Tsvangirai nurse ‘mysterious’ death

Feburuary 28 2018 – SA authorities are investigating the death of a Joburg based Zimbabwean nurse , who was found dead after pictures of her posing next to the late MDC-T president Morgan Tsvangirai during his final days went viral on social media,amid fears she could have been murdered.

Nomsa Ncube, who worked at the Wits Donald Gordon Medical Centre (WDGMC), was reportedly found dead at her flat in central Johannesburg on February 18, lying in a pool of blood by her maid, four days after the former Prime Minister succumbed to cancer of the colon and on the day of her disciplinary hearing at the hospital over the incident.

This is after another Zimbabwean nurse at the same hospital, identified as S Masawi, and registered with the South African Nursing Council (SANC) allegedly wrote to the professional body demanding action against the nurse after her picture with Tsvangirai went viral.

In the complaint, she demanded that Ncube be charged with misconduct.

“May I bring to your attention the attached image showing one of your nurses posing for a picture with a patient who is clearly on his final days,” wrote Masawi.

Ncube 44, is from Esigodini was taking care of Tsvangirai, who, was diagnosed with cancer in 2016. The opposition politician had been visiting the hospital for two years.

Ncube came under the spotlight after the social media pictures and there have been different versions on the cause of her death.

A family member who spoke on condition of anonymity said she may have been killed, while some online sources alleged that she committed suicide following public condemnation when her picture with the late politician started circulating.

Zimbabwe’s consul general to South Africa Batiraishe Mukonoweshuro confirmed that Ms Ncube had died and that investigations are underway

“I am told that the South African Police Service is still dealing with the case and ascertaining the circumstances around how she passed on,” says Mukonoweshuro. “No information has been available as to how she died, purportedly on Sunday 18 February in the evening.”

WDGMC manager Sue Tager has refused to comment but a family member alleged that she was killed as she was found in a pool of blood.

“We suspect that she was killed because her body was found lying in a pool of blood,” said the source. “At first we believed that she had committed suicide, but we are certain of foul play though we cannot really say why she was killed or who did it.”

Meanwhile Ncube’s body, which is now at funeral parlour, Kings and Queens awaits repatriation, after the police complete their investigations. – Herald/additional reporting Patience Rusere