Zim’s Mutizwa aids Arrows Chippa  draw

Zim’s Mutizwa aids Arrows Chippa draw

September 30  2017– GOLDEN Arrows remained unbeaten in the league as they settled for a 1-1 draw with Chippa United in their Premiership match at Princess Magogo Stadium on Saturday(today).

Katlego Mashego’s goal ensured Chippa grabbed a share of the points from the contest.

The stalemate for coach Teboho Moloi’s side leaves them placed at number 10 with seven points from as many matches so far.

On the other hand, substitute Zimbabwean  forward Knox Mutizwa netted for the hosts as he ensured they remained unbeaten in the league after seven matches with 13 points.

The opening 10 minutes had no clear cut opportunities in front of goal, but the hosts displayed good interchange of passes going forward.

Resulting from the move, Kudakwashe Mahachi tried a long range shot, yet it went over goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi’s crossbar.

In trying to make a quick response, Moloi’s side pushed forward and it was Kurt Lentjies whose attempt went wide after a brilliant interchange of passes in the 27th minute.

With three minutes to go to the tunnel, Abafana Bes’thende allowed the visitors more space as they attacked, but Lentjies failed to hit the target from a well-struck shot at goal.

A few minutes later, Chippa fouled Musa Bilankulu and Lerato Lamola’s efforts from a set piece were saved when Akpeyi produced a double save.

Coach Clinton Larsen’s men came back with more purpose as Siphelele Magubane attempted a shot at goal and Akpeyi easily collected the effort.

The 54th minute saw the Port Elizabeth-based side breaking the deadlock when Mashego found the back of the net against the run of play from his traditional set piece to beat Nkosingiphile Gumede.

Larsen introduced Mutizwa and the Zimbabwean made an immediate impact when his shot beat Akpeyi, but it went wide.

A minute later, Mutizwa managed to beat Akpeyi and made it 1-1 with a beautiful header and ensured the thrilling encounter remained an open affair.

The visitors pushed for their second goal and substitute Mahlatse Makudubela tried to chip Gumede, but the keeper read the situation and punched the ball away in the 78th minute.

It was end-to-end stuff in the final 10 minutes, but Wayde Jooste and Sibiya’s combination failed to yield the desired results in front of goal.

The result leaves the Durban-based side sitting at the summit with 12 points from seven matches so far. – ANA